27 July 2011

"Plant a tree, have a son, and write a book"


According to Jose Marti, a Cuban poet and writer who also served as a leader in his country's independence movement, there are three things every person should do in his or her life: "plant a tree, have a son and write a book."

I once planted a mahogany tree in San Carlos Seminary, and thankfully it still stands until now. Since I'm in the seminary, I cannot have a son (WEH?!). But I think writing a book is the hardest feat among these three things.


Interestingly, in my visit to the Archbishop Gabriel Reyes Memorial Library in San Carlos Seminary last week, I found my philosophy thesis (entitled "The Greatness and the Misery of Man: Pascal's Divertissement in Heidegger's sein-zum-tode Doctrine", 235 pages all in all hahahaha) in the library shelves! Well, can one consider that as a check in the checklist?

27 is still a young age I guess, yet an age ripe enough to make a difference. Chuck Palahniuk puts it quite fittingly: "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." 

deo gratias.

No comments:

Post a Comment